reviewer comments about cognitive modeling

David Klahr klahr+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 12 09:37:48 EDT 2000

Hi Chris,

I don't have any reviewer comments to add, but I have addressed some of
the anti-computational criticisms in a couple of papers.  The most
recent one is

Klahr, D., & MacWhinney, B. (1998) Information Processing. In D. Kuhn &
R. S. Siegler (Eds.), W. Damon (Series Ed.). Handbook of child
psychology (5th ed.): Vol. 2: Cognition, perception, and language. New
York: Wiley.

In there we address both production systems and PDP approaches to modelling.

An earlier paper, with a broader treatment of "information processing
approaches" is

Klahr, D. (1992). Information processing approaches to cognitive
development. In M. H. Bornstein & M. E. Lamb (Eds.), Developmental
Psychology: An Advanced Textbook, 3rd Edition. ( pp. 273-336)Hillsdale,
N.J.: Erlbaum.

I know you are familiar with both papers (you better be!), and I'm not
sure what kind of argument you are trying to muster here, but I've
attached a section from the Klahr & MacWhinney(98) paper that might be
useful.

dk