Code to plot activation growth & Mental lexicon/Lexical decision questions

Peter Pirolli pirolli at parc.xerox.com
Wed Jul 5 12:00:31 EDT 2000

I've used one of the large word indexes from the TREC text retrieval
workshop to compute base strengths and inter-chunk association strengths
for works.  In principle, this provides a lexicon of 200 million lexical
items and 55 million association links.  Many of these items, however, have
little practical use, since they are things like dates, numeric codes,
etc.  For a specific simulation I construct a network from the subset of
items that I think are needed for the model.  In practice, this has ranged
from several hundred to tens of thousands of nodes.

I do not, however, use the ACT-R activation mechanism, so I can't comment
on specific problems in that regard.

--Pete