Looking for cognitive modelers

Eliza Beth Littleton littleton at aptima.com
Wed Aug 9 11:02:50 EDT 2000

Dear ACT-R and ACT-R/PM Users,

Aptima, Inc. is a small company looking for cognitive modelers, particularly
folks with ACT-R expertise. We thought there might be some members of this
group who would like to hear about this job opportunity, and we especially
wanted to contact this group. Below is a description of Aptima's interests
and needs. Anyone interested in Aptima can reply to me, and/or contact Jared
Freeman (freeman at aptima.com).

Thanks for your time.

Beth Littleton, Ph.D.
APTIMA, Inc.
5342 Cristfield Court
Fairfax, VA. 22032
703 250 8266
littleton at aptima.com

____

Aptima (www.aptima.com) is developing computational models of cognitive
behavior, creating intelligent tutors, and generating performance measures
in complex and dynamic domains that require humans to monitor, recognize,
adapt, define problems, and make decisions. Among the research questions we
attempt to answer are:

1) How do team leaders monitor, recognize, and adapt to changing
circumstances in military operations?
2) How do individuals influence information flow in large organizations?
3) How do individuals and teams analyze and synthesize large amounts of
information?
4) How can intelligent agents be designed to support on-line training of
people who are distributed across space and time?
5) How can models of spatial reasoning contribute to virtual reality display
design?

Powerful cognitive models are lacking in areas such as these. The
opportunities for cognitive modelers at Aptima are to apply their experience
and push the frontiers of modeling into ill-defined and challenging areas
that arise in industry.

Thus, we are looking for individuals with an ability to learn and work in
new and ill-defined domains. Knowledge of powerful methodologies such as
eye-tracking and simulation-based data collection and the associated
programming skills would be a plus. Also valuable are experience in job and
task analysis, cognitive task analysis, human performance measurement, and
knowledge elicitation skill. Knowledge of military operations is a plus, but
is not a requirement. Finally, we seek candidates with the ability to
operate within an interdisciplinary project team, an eagerness to learn
about new methods and system domains, and skills in working with subject
matter experts, customers and end-users.

Qualifications:

MS or Ph.D. in Cognitive Science or Cognitive Psychology, or equivalent
experience
Expertise in computational cognitive modeling
Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
Willingness to travel
Strong writing and presentation skills

Interested individuals may contact Jared Freeman (freeman at aptima.com) or
Beth Littleton (littleton at aptima).