Schema-based models?

Niels Taatgen taatgen+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 13 10:06:12 EDT 1999

Benjamin A Maclaren wrote:

> Are there papers on schema-based models in ACT-R 4.0, preferably with a
> model I could check out?  I am assuming that these involve a "schema
> activation" phase and then a goal driven phase to try to instantiate a
> retrieved schema.

Ben, you might want to look at some modeling I recently did for my thesis.
It involves a model that uses a representation similar to schema's, which
are retrieved from memory, modified for different purposes, and eventually
proceduralized. It is described in my thesis (chapter 7), which you can
retrieve from its webpage:

http://tcw2.ppsw.rug.nl/~niels/thesis

This page also has the models themselves on it, although they are fairly
large...

Alternatively, a summary of the model is in the paper is in de proceedings
of the last cognitive science conference, although it lacks technical
details. (to be retrieved from:
http://tcw2.ppsw.rug.nl/prepublications/prepubsTCW-99-4.pdf)

Niels Taatgen