representation of input text in a conversation

Jim Davies jimmyd at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 25 16:19:53 EST 1999

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Bruno Emond wrote:

> Hi Jim.  Here are some short comments.
>
> >What are the advantages?
> >1) The you can only focus on one goal at a time, so the other chunks
> >involved in the sentence are just in memory like any other. To distinguish
> >them from words in other sentences, they have an identifier. You can think
> >of this as a timestamp of some sort like Christian suggested in his
> >ACT-R/PM  email. This is also how Anderson did it with his "parent" slot.
> >
> >This is an improvement from my original suggestion, in which the chain of
> >words didn't know what sentence they belonged to.  The model needs to know
> >this, though, so it doesn't confuse the focused sentence with others in
> >memory.
> >

> I think there is some confusion here about the role of the sentence slot.
> The sentence slot is an indication of the group to which the word belong.
> I do not think it plays the role of a timestamp. Your timestamp is
> implicit in you next-word slot.

I mean a timestamp in a larger sense-- the next word slot only tells the
timestamp for the word relative to the other words in the same sentence,
but the sentence-id tells the timestamp of the sentence relative to other
sentences heard in the past. Else you need some other way to
distinguish the later words of a sentence heard in the past from one you
are hearing right now.

I want this so that if I want to I can use what I know of sentences heard
before to help understand the one I'm hearing now.

JimDavies  jimmyd at cc.gatech.edu              home: 404-223-1366
           http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jimmyd/