Error modeling

Benjamin A Maclaren maclaren+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 7 17:41:56 EDT 1999

> It would seem like "mistakes" would result from having inappropriate
chunks in declarative
> memory, but I would like to hear some other thoughts on this.

There are two ways you might want to think about mistakes.
Comprehension and execution "mistakes."  You seem to be referring to
comprehension problems.

But you could also have productions that perform incorrect actions from
the right declarative memory, either because the production has the
wrong action side, or possibly an overly general lefthand side (this of
course could also be modeled with partial matching).

In our model of early algebra we have made all the mistakes the result
of overly general lefthand sides or productions failing to fire.

Ben