List Memory and Alphabetic Retrieval

Danielle S. McNamara dmcnamar at odu.edu
Sat Feb 13 10:52:15 EST 1999

Todd,
It seems to me that alphabetic retrieval is more analogous to skilled
memory than to serial recall.  That is, rather than relying on an episodic
representation, the subject may be using a LTM (LTWM) representation.  So,
the process would be more similar to that observed in work such as Chase &
Ericsson (S.F.) than in a standard serial recall paradigm.  I say this
because the subject would rely on a chunk in LTM, rather than a chunk
created at the time of encoding.  Also, the results you describe sound more
similar to skilled memory findings.  Does this assumption sound reasonable?
And, has anyone simulated with ACT-R the Chase and Ericsson data -- or
similar data?
Danielle

Danielle S. McNamara
  Asst. Professor