Schema-based models

Wayne Gray gray at gmu.edu
Sat Aug 21 13:40:08 EDT 1999

Folks,

Ben implicated me as having talked about schema-based models.

This is a three-part reply:

1. With Susan Kirschenbaum, I have been studying how submarine
commanders localize an enemy hiding in deep water. We have a theory
of this task that we refer to as:  schema-directed problem solving
with shallow and adaptive subgoaling (SDPSSAS).

A very brief description of that theory is contained in:

Gray, W. D., & Kirschenbaum, S. S. (in press). Analyzing a novel
expertise: An unmarked road. In J. M. C. Schraagen, S. F. Chipman, &
V. L. Shalin (Eds.), Cognitive task analysis . Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.

This paper may be downloaded via:

http://hfac.gmu.edu/~graypubs

*******
2. The initial empirical investigation has been extended using a home
built simulation of the AO's (approach officer) task called Ned. We
now have data from 10% of the active submarine officers interacting
with Ned. The "scaled worlds" methodology used in this work is
described in a paper just accepted for publication by the Human
Factors journal. As I have not seen the editor's final comments, I am
sitting on that paper until I can be sure that the copy that will
appear in print will be substantially similar to the paper I
distribute.

At the current time we have a "baselevel" model of this task. The
model suffices to enable us to follow along in the protocols. Ned has
about 8 displays, each of which is complex. The baseline model
suffices to enable us to follow the AO encoded operator by encoded
operator as he performs his task using Ned. (The model interacts
directly with Ned but is not an RPM model.)

******
3. We have machine encoded 18 empirical protocols at the operator
level. (These are the encoded operators referred to above.) We are
currently finishing our interrater reliability procedure for our
encodings of goals and subgoals. Early indications are that the
control structure that emerges from the analysis of the new data
support conclusions based on the original data (i.e., SDPSSAS).

*****
4. Stay tuned for more. Our take on schemas is very different from
the Scott and Marshall take. If we are successful in modeling this
task we will be presenting it either in Groningen in March or
Pittsburgh in July.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne D. Gray  HUMAN FACTORS & APPLIED COGNITIVE PROGRAM

SNAIL-MAIL ADDRESS (FedX et al)     VOICE: +1 (703) 993-1357
George Mason University               FAX: +1 (703) 993-1330
ARCH Lab/HFAC Program                           *********************
MSN 3f5                                         * Work is infinite, *
Fairfax, VA  22030-4444                         * time is finite,   *
http://hfac.gmu.edu                             * plan accordingly. *