modelling knowledge about causal relations

Wolfgang Schoppek Wolfgang.Schoppek at uni-bayreuth.de
Tue Feb 10 07:40:53 EST 1998

In my efforts of modelling the acquisition of causal knowledge I
encountered the following problem: Suppose there is an input-variable
affecting several output-variables. The goal is to create chunks which
represent these effects. For every successive state of the problem a new
chunk is created which holds the values of the variables. By comparing
the last two states the effects (of the input) can be induced.
And this is my question: can a production match information in any slot
of a lhs-chunk (performing an OR-operation like "if the value of output1
= 1 or the value of output2 = 1")?
Can anybody help me with that question, or has anybody
experience/problems in modelling the acquisition of causal knowledge in
ACT-R?

-- Wolfgang

 Dr. Wolfgang Schoppek                <<< Tel.: +49 921 555003 <<<
 Lehrstuhl fuer Psychologie, Universitaet Bayreuth, 95440 Bayreuth
  http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/psychologie/wolfgang.htm